The Truth About Hard Water
What is hard water?
When water first falls from the sky as rain it is considered soft water because it is free of minerals. As the water travels through soil, sand, and rock it picks up different types of minerals altering it from soft to hard water. When the water is high in Magnesium and Calcium ions it becomes hard. Water hardness is measured in grains per gallon on a scale from 1 to 10 based on the degree of hardness. Hard water is not typically harmful to our health but can create many problems for us.
Why is it a problem?
There are multiple minerals present in hard water but the two creating problems are Magnesium and Calcium. When these two minerals are heated they remove themselves from water and encrust themselves onto items. They form mineral deposits on household items which affects the performance of them These hard to remove scale mineral deposits are unsightly in the kitchens and bathrooms of our homes. When you have hard water in your home soaps and detergents lather poorly, so we tend to use more which results in scum residue and soapy films.
10 problems created by hard water:
- The minerals found in hard water can clog pipes and reduce water flow.
- Mineral deposits and film will accumulate in kitchens and bathrooms.
- Skin will be left feeling dry from the soap residue left behind.
- Hair will be left looking dull and feeling limp from the soap residue left behind.
- Mineral deposits(scale) shorten the life of your water heater.
- Utility bills can increase due to scale build up in your water heater.
- Glasses and dishes will have white film or spots even after cleaning.
- Clothes can look dingy and gray from reduced sudsing.
- The harsh minerals in the hard water will shorten the lifespan of your clothes.
- Hard water can affect the taste of tea and coffee.
Is there a solution?
A water softener may be the solution you have been looking for if you are fed up with hard water. To make the water soft, the system will remove the minerals, magnesium and calcium from your water.
When a Superior water softening system is on the job, you will notice immediate changes such as:
- Spot-free dishes
- Softer clothes, linens, and towels
- Bathtubs, sinks, showers, and shower doors that are free from soap scum
- Greatly reduced cleaning time for bathroom and kitchen areas
- No more dry, itchy skin
- Bouncier, healthier, more touchable hair
Over the long term, you will notice more subtle differences that can save you money on repair and replacement costs:
- Water pipes remain clearer and do not corrode as quickly
- Clothes are cleaner and brighter and will not wear out as fast
- Appliances work more efficiently, and because they are not corroded by hard water they will last longer
- Soft water requires less soap and detergent for optimum cleaning, so you will use less and save more
With a soft water system in place your whole family will enjoy softer, less itchy skin from day one. The water softener systems from Superior will remove the harsh chemicals from your water making your life easier and softer. Contact us today (303) 800-2410 for a no-obligation, free home water evaluation.